Sunday 19 October 2008

La zona inglès

To begin with...I am a German girl, that came to the small town of Preston less than two month ago, to study journalism. And thats pretty much what I do ALL THE TIME. Studying journalism isn't only a course, that provides you with skills to find a story, to write in down in Shorthand and than write it back as a nib a newsstory or a feature. It pretty much changes who you are. You are not a student anymore, YOU ARE a journalist, you leave the university in the evening and your job isn't over yet, actually it keeps going until you close your eyes. Being a journalist is not a job, its a life attitude, a lifestyle, a 24/7 thing...you serach for stories in normal things, such as a hit roadsign or "no parking signs" in the windows of peoples house...
all this together shows that at least to me, being a journalist changes your perception of the world that surrounds you. It is not only that as being a part of the media, it changes the insight you have on a topic because you have newstickers and contacts, that inform you, it also turns you into someone who tries to look behind the obvious...you are not going to the movies only to see a film, you go to the movies, see a film, that critizises the mexican government and you leave the movies, haviong watched a good movie and with a feature idea. Could I get an interview with the director. What is the real life situtaion. Is it true what I just saw...and than you start researching.
To me in particular this very movie was an experience in itself. My german brain tried to digest the input of a new city outside of the showroom called Manchester. Then I watched this film called La Zona (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1039652/) in spanish subtitles...as it was, this was much easier than I thought, since I understand a bit of spanish too...I could just never speak it...all three languages made perfect sense in my head and I walked out, not only impressed by the performance I had just seen on screen, but also by the performance my brain had made...

No comments: